Congratulations! You’re expecting. Nothing to do but sit back and bask in the pregnancy glow, right? Well, if you’re anything like other expectant moms, you suddenly have a War-and-Peace-length list of questions, concerns, and thoughts.
"I have questions I didn’t even know existed until I was pregnant."
Don’t fret. Your doctor is here with answers. Lots of them. Our Mommy’s Bliss moms have been there and know just what to expect (when you’re expecting) at your first prenatal visit – and they’ve added some all-important questions to get the conversation started and put your mind at ease.
What to expect at your visit:
Your doctor will check your overall health and tell you….drumroll please…your due date! They will also ask about your medical history and answer any questions you may have. This may be your longest prenatal visit as there’s always more to cover in the beginning. Here’s some things to expect before the Q&A portion of the program begins…
Your doctor will give you a full exam including checking your weight and blood pressure. You will also likely have a breast and pelvic exam and draw blood to check your immunity, blood type and screen for potential diseases. You may be asked for a urine sample to check your kidneys and bladder. Then your doctor may prescribe prenatal vitamins or advise on which supplements to add.
Here are a few questions to ask your doctor:
- Is it safe for me to have caffeine? Asking for a coffee-desperate friend.
- How much weight will I gain?
- Are the prescription medicines I’m taking safe for me and my baby?
- Is sexual activity safe?
- What pregnancy symptoms should I expect and when should I worry or contact a doctor?
- What should I be eating? For me and my baby? Are there any foods I should avoid?
- Is it safe for me to exercise? Is there a specific type that’s best for me right now?
- Which prenatal vitamins do you recommend?
- Anything I can do about this morning sickness which needs a new name because mine can last all day some days.
- Which symptoms are normal and which should I contact you about?
- Is everything ok?
Bring this list or make your own, and remember, your doctor has likely heard it all, so there’s no such thing as a dumb question. Ask away – and bask away and don’t forget your Mommy’s Bliss prenatals…peace of mind in a bottle.
You’re doing just fine.
This site is intended for informational purposes only and does not provide medical advice. Please consult your physician or other health-care professional.